History of Siolim
Siolim ([ʃiwoːlĩː]) is a village in Bardez taluka, and a census town on the central west coast of India, in the North Goa district of Goa. The 2001 population was 10,311. Siolim is also the name of a constituency in the Goa assembly, which includes Assagao, Anjuna and Oxel, in addition to Siolim. This article is about the village of Siolim. A person from Siolim is known as a Siolcar (Konkani: Xivolkar).
Siolim is situated about 7 km (4.3 mi) from Mapusa. It is located around Chapora River. There is a bridge over River Chapora, in place of the prior ferry.To Siolim's north lies the quiet village of Oxel; green hillocks hedge it towards Assagao in the south and the east. Camurlim too lies to its east, and in the west flows the Chapora river with Morjim and its pinewooded beach on the northern bank in Pernem.
Siolim, has several different types of sub-divisions, whom are independent of one another. They include: Vadde
There are 9 vadde: Igrez-Vaddo, Gaunsa-Vaddo, Bamon-Vaddo, Marna, Dcruz-Vaddo,Costa Vaddo. Porta-Vaddo, Tarchi Bhatt, Guddem, Aframent, Vaddi and Oxel in Siolim-Marna panchayat. Besides this there are 7 vadde in Siolim-Sodiem panchayat.
There are three panchayats: Siolim-Marna, Siolim-Sodiem, and Siolim-Oxel.
There are 2 comunidades: Siolim and Marna.
There are 3 parishes: Siolim, Oxel and Tropa.
Church of Mae de Deus (1568-1600)
Franciscan missionaries first built a church - the Church of Mae de Deus - at the Sonarkhett hill, wedged between Siolim and Assagao. It was located centrally to serve the spiritual needs of the people in the villages of Anjuna, Assagao, Siolim and Oxel. But being situated on the rising hill and probably being a kutcha structure, it did not survive many years, leaving behind the black stone cross at Sonarkhett.
This first church in Siolim was built near the site of the Mae de Deus chapel in Gaunsa-Vaddo in 1568. (There is a plaque commemorating this fact in the chapel compound). This church was probably a kutcha structure, and it survived for merely 32 years. The Gaunsa-Vaddo Chapel of Mae de Deus was constructed in 1847.
St. Anthony's Church (1630-1901) (1902-today)
Siolim's church is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. The church possesses two steeples on the frontispiece and a statue of St Anthony holding a serpent on a leash. This is a depiction of the incident which occurred during the construction of the church wherein a snake that was disrupting construction work. The people turned to St. Anthony for help, and placed his statue at the construction site. The next morning, the snake was found caught in the cord placed in the statue's hand. In the church, the statues, paintings, and even the church bell, depict St. Anthony holding a serpent tied with a cord to commemorate this miracle.
Shri Datta Mandir:
This temple is developed and designed by the architect Shri Nandan Sawant. It is dedicated to Shri Dattatreya, the trinity, known for its serenity austere rites. The idol worshiped is "Ekhmukhi" which is very sacred and rare. This temple is located in Ghol Marna Siolim, away from all the disturbances of traffic and human location; this place is very sacred and an appropriate place for worship and meditation. A huge mandam has been built in front of the temple. Festivals there include Gurupadwa, Vardhapan Divas, Gurudwadshi, Dattajayanti, etc.
Kai. Gopinath Dattaram Prabhu (1900–49):
This temple was established by Kai. Gopinath Dattaram Prabhu (Porob). He was born in a poor family background in 1900. He was very much devoted to God from his young age. His father died when he was 20. He went to Narsobaa-Vaddi to perform all the required things after the death of his father. Here he was influenced by Lord Dattatreya. Thereafter he often loved visiting Narsoba-Vaddi. He later resided there, and occupied himself worshipping Lord Dattatreya.
At the age of 31, he established a Portrait of Lord Dattatreya at Mapusa and started worshipping him. He established a temple thereafter. After a few months he came to be Kai Atmaram Fulari's resident. After settling here, he used to go to bathe near the spring at Ghol Marna. Surrounded by the beautiful nature, he liked this place very much. Thick forest, tall headed coconut trees, medicinal water flowing through the springs, and hills at all sides supporting a peaceful place, influenced his mind. In 1942 he took permission of the owner of the place, Visnum Ranga Kamat Dalal, and built a small hut in which he started worshiping a portrait of Lord Dattatreya. Many devotees started visiting this place. Festivals like Gurudwadashi, Dattajayanti, and Gurupadwa were celebrated later. He was then known as "Baba Maharaj". He gave many people "vibhuti". He expired on 27 August 1949. Then his Samadhi was constructed in front of the temple. Afterwards, Shri Shreepad Fulari continued the worship.
Designed by Goan architect Ralino de Souza, this temple is situated in Shelim, Siolim. This temple of goddess Sateri is known for the festival of Diwsans. During this festival the temple is surrounded by a long feri. Many females go round the temple in a procession with oil-lamps in their hand and on their head. The scene is very auspicious.
There are five schools in Siolim, which are linked together by a community known as "Siolim Super School Complex". Every year, the Super School Complex organise a common exam for students of Std X (tenth) in October. The Super School Complex also organise competitions for students of these five schools. These schools are:
Holy Cross High School:
Holy Cross High School, which was a very popular girls convent in Goa, was founded by the Congregation of the Daughters of the Cross in 1933. However since 1975 it has been converted into a co-ed school, with only the boarding for girls.
St. Francis Xaviers High School:
St Francis Xavier's High School and Higher Secondary School was established in Corlim, Mapusa in 1937 by Miguel Antonio D'Souza, and transferred to Bamon-Vaddo, Siolim, in 1950. Since 1953 it has been run by the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales.
Shri Shanta Vidyalaya:
Shri Shanta Vidyalaya is situated in Sodiem. The school was founded on 9 July 1973. It is managed by Vidya Bharati.
Shri Vasant Vidyalaya:
The school of Shri Vasant Vidyalaya is situated at Porta -Vaddo.
It is situated at Portawaddo. The school is established in the year 1969 and managed by Swami Vivekanand Seva Sangh, Siolim.
The Above Source is From: Siolim-Wikipedia